Wednesday, September 02, 2009

It's been a while....

Ok, so it has been a while since I posted. I hate to admit this but I think I have been avoiding it...yes my friends that is correct....me...Bev...avoiding something. Honestly, it is not always easy to talk. Sometimes a time out is required.

In boring Cancer news, so far I have had three chemo treatments and all have gone remarkably well considering. Some mouth sores and the usual nausea but apart from that nothing...and when I say nothing I mean I still have my hair. Yes! I hear you all rejoice...(particularly my brother Matt who although fully prepared for 'Bald Bev' pictures at his Bahamian wedding probably dreams of actual hair as much as I do). However I am trying to remain realistic...Oh who am I kidding! Every night I look in the mirror and pray to God that he will spare my hair. Vanity people is a great motivator. I have one more treatment in a week and then a scan to determine the effect. All being well and assuming the wretched Cancer has responded by getting the eff out of there then we will probably do some more chemo (just for shits and giggles) and then we start talking about clinical trial drugs such as SGN-35, (feel free to google) which have been showing great promise and, (Matt you will be glad to hear this) don't result in hair loss!

In other more spiritual news I have been trying to focus on the positive as we deal with more chemo and the possibility of clinical trials with new drugs and have found that although this is difficult sometimes on a day to day basis, when I think long term about my struggle I am as convinced as I ever was that I will beat this. As a result I have become more and more interested in just exactly where this faith and belief comes from? So far I have not come to any earth shattering conclusions but I have uncovered some childhood memories that remind me I may have always been blessed with more than my fair share of a stubborn streak...(no confirmation required from you Tom)....

When I was a kid I was always the one that the family turned to whenever something went missing. As I am sure you can imagine in a house of 6 people things often went missing and it wasn't always that my little brother John had "borrowed" it. I think anyone who has siblings is familiar with what the term "borrowed" actually means. Yes John, that's right...it's called stealing.. Anyway, for some reason I was always the kid tasked with searching for said item. The 'Sherlock Holmes' of my family if you will. I was simply very good at finding things and I was thinking about this just the other day and wondering why. I began to remember how I used to feel as I searched, how I was always absolutely convinced that I would find it no matter how long it took me. I just knew it was there. Somewhere. Invariably I would locate the item and mostly I realize now simply because I refused to give up and I was willing to search longer and in more places than anyone else. Stubbornly refusing to give up the search and admit defeat. I remember WANTING to find it, it was a literal urge I felt. I believed.

I realize now as I think back to how I felt then as a child that I feel the exact same way today when I think about my struggle with Cancer. I have faith that I will beat this just as I had faith I would find that missing hairbrush or sock or belt. The only difference is that today I know that confidence comes from my faith in God. (all readers should feel free to insert their own spiritual guide / motivator / higher power here).

I may no longer be searching for that lost sock or missing wallet, (although every now and again as every wife knows one MUST search for one's husband's 'misplaced' things...it's in the vows. Trust me), but I am searching every day for more meaning in my life and trying to understand the lessons in each struggle Tom and I face.

Again, sadly no earth shattering answers here folks but I will tell you this. I have learned more about friendship and family in the last four years than ever before and I want you all to know that if you are reading this then you have helped to lift Tom and I up EVERY day in some small way whether you know it or not. I actually wanted this blog to be all about you guys and how much we love the way you love us but as my husband Tom so rightly pointed out when I complained of writers block, we cannot always dictate the creative direction of our thoughts and also, quite frankly people, lets keep it real. I have Cancer...It really is all about me.

xoxoxoxox

8 comments:

Emma Lawrence said...

Stubborn and bossy! Andy (my Step-dad) still refers to you as 'Allocation Bev'. Stubborn, bossy but lovely.
xxx

lauren&thebananas said...

As well it should be all about you! Sweetie we all believe in you, and in the strength and your faith and hey how cool is it that you still have your hair.
Seriously all our love and good thoughts, the bananas (now renamed the surf rats) think you deserve an extra ice cream float after the next round of chemo.
Check your email, a new photo of Natasha running from the papparazzi has arrived! xxxl

Unknown said...

Well done! Can't wait for the happy ending.

Brad said...

A close friend of mine calls it HP (Higher Power). I kinda like that. It works in mysterious ways, big and small, each and everyday.

Also, everyone knows Cancer is way easier in California!

Thinking of you,
Brad

Dot/Lydia said...

Hey Bev, you are gorgeous, with or without hair, lets hope the curly locks are here to stay though. I am thinking of you often whilst feeding and cuddling Bella and sending you all our loving and positive thoughts. Keep posting if you can it's lovely to feel closer to you and keep the faith it will see you through for sure. Lyds (Dot) x

Anonymous said...

some call it stubborn, I call it tenacious and brave and a take no prisoners honesty that is like a laser baby. And not only are you funny and honest and courageous, but you can write and speak from your heart- no small feat! And I do not know why this is happening but i know you will kick this cancer's ass and that the Universe/God/Higher Power/All Knowing All Loving One does not dish up what we cannot handle. So you keep that beautiful feisty faith girl. And hair or no hair, you are gorgeous and always have been. Thanks for sharing and inspiring me- and love and hugs to you and Tom!! XX Trina

Lottie said...

Please can you find the woodstock videos I lent your brothers in 1990??? xxx

Furrey Family said...

Girl- you are more than an inspiration! I do not know how you do it----oh yea, I do, it's GOD! You know that we are praying for you and Tom constantly and have faith that you WILL beat this thing we call cancer! Please, please, please let us know if there is ANYTHING that we can do. Now that you are in Cali - I can actually come and stay with you (if you would like me too:O) for a few days and HELP!!

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Keep the faith - love you ,
Tracy