Wednesday, August 15, 2007

FREE AT LAST !!!!!






The prison gates opened yesterday at 6pm and we bounded free !!!

We don't mind the 30 pills a day that have to be swallowed and the two pages of detailed instructions that come with them. We don't mind pasteurising everything that moves and wiping down food surfaces with white vinegar. We don't mind the endless washing of hands, door knobs, mobile phones, TV remote controls and forcing delivery men to have an alcohol based rub ! (Actually the delivery men quite like it and prefer it to a tip.) We don't even mind the Chapter in " Returning Home after your Allogenic Transplant" entitled "Rules on Hugging and Kissing." However visitors should be warned that you will have to learn to put your mask on with hands dripping with the alcohol rub ! (Dont breathe in for at lest 5 minutes by the way.)

BEVERLEY IS FREE !!!!!

As predicted upon returning to Park slope, Beverley sank immediately into her beloved couch and switched to the food channel. As expected this proved to be an appetite stimulant and we were happy to gratify her 6 weeks of deprivation with a spectacular and memorable plate of Heinz Beans on Toast. Today Mum is making a requested pasteurised cottage pie and for Sunday Beverley has demanded a "childhood type" Sunday lunch with pasteurised roast beef, germ free roast potatoes, abiotic Yorkshire pudding and alcohol rub based meat gravy. As Matthew and Nicola and John and Audrey are home this weekend, only Jennifer and Laura will be missing from a full family gathering.

You can get a germ free flavour of the fun that we had last night on the couch around the Food Channel from the accompanying illustrations. (Our thanks to the incredibly svelte Mom Self for the Trumpets and Hawaiian leis.)

The only thing missing from Beverley's homecoming can be seen in the final illustration showing Beverley and Tom's canine friend Archie sitting in the window of John's house as we left for Beverley's apartment this morning. Tonight I will pasteurise and alcohol rub him and once we find a mask and two pairs of gloves to fit him he can be reintroduced to the 'home hospital.'

The Dad

PS Dot/Lydia, thanks so much for your blog- please send Beverley your email address
PPS Hello Bingleys-Can you FEDEX mulberries ? I cant wait !

24 comments:

melyay said...

yahoo!!! i'm so excited! you must be loving it. please let us know when we can come for a visit !
melissa

DJG said...

Mazel Tov!!!! This is the happiest news I've heard and completely makes up for spending the better part of today locked in an editing room trying to undo the myriad mistakes a group of French-Canadians made "interpreting" my flawless script. Let me know if you need anything for the home hospital -- an industrial size tub of Purell, DVDs of How To Boil Water -- and I will gladly ship things your way.

Welcome Home, Bev!!!!!

-Dana

Mom Self said...

We didn't realize that you had to pass the "can she tolerate the in-laws" test before you went home. Glad to be of service if that helped the process along!

Looks like you put the party favors to good use! You did label them so you won't swap germs, didn't you? (Bev, you can also keep one by your bedside to summon a foot massage or cup of tea.)

Great to see all your smiling faces and NO MASKS! Guess your nails will stop growing, Miki. Maybe you could put the gloves on for a few hours a day to encourage nail growth.

We're sure Archie won't mind the sanitizing as long as he gets to see his mom! No doggie smooches, though. We know "The Mum & The Dad" will be vigilant about that.

Hope your visitors won't be bothered by the car wash they have to walk through before entering your apt. We're all willing to do whatever it takes to keep you germ free and on the road back to perfect health.

Granny and Gramps are babysitting while Lisa and Jay are out to dinner. It's a win win situation..

They get to relax and finish their dinner. We get to stay home and spoil Jack and Addie. Just as it should be.

Glad you're home. Home is where the healing takes place. Enjoy!

Love to all! ;-) xoxoxoxo

Ruth and Frank said...

Well done Bev - home at last! What a star you have been and an inspiration to us all.
Hope you get Archie back very soon.
We have followed your progress every single day and we are so delighted that the hospital is behind you and great days ahead.
Very best wishes from Ledbury in the depths of Herefordshire.
Love to The Mom and The Dad
Ruth and Frank

Bigmac said...

Hi Bev

Soooo glad to hear you and the couch have finally been reunited. I am sure the TEVO is groaning under the weight of classic programmes that need to be watched (Bridezilla etc...)

Got back home myself last night to a rainy england, but nothing can dampen the spirits since I am really pleased that you are home with the family (and Archie is to hopefully follow shortly).

Take it easy and remeber that the alcohol is for rubbing and not for drinking (yet).

Love

Ailis xx

Gigi said...

Bev!
Brooklyn at last!
I'm so happy to hear you've been sprung. Sending many positive healing thoughts your way. Let me know when you're up for a walk to the tea room and I'll join you (this time without the crutches).
gigi

kyeotb said...

Congratulations Bev!!!!!

Looking forward to an un-cautious hug and a sloppy kiss some time soon.

That goes for you too, Tom.

Patrick

Aileen said...

Dear Beverly,

Eventhough we have not had a chance to talk to you and your family directly but you have been in our prayers and thoughts since I got the news from your dad (who was my supervisor in Cambridge). I am so happy to hear that you are now free at home at last. We will continue to pray for a speedy full recovery and you will enjoy a long happy life ahead of you with your family.
What is a wonderful news for me today!
please say hello to everyone
Take care
Aileen Van-Nguyen

Anonymous said...

Just got back home and checked in to see whether Bev got away - hurrah!!!!! Can almost hear the party squeakers from here.....hope the childhood style nosh goes down well, what a treat....well done to you all. Don't stop blogging just because you've got home, will you? We need to keep up with the goss...love Liz G and family

Dot/Lydia said...

Woohoo Bev, home sweet home, I am about to start a frantic cleaning session, your dad's list of chores has shamed me into it. Love to you all from us all, my e mail address is lydia@shelfordrugby.co.uk and I love you billions, Dot/Lyds xxx xxx

Sara said...

This is the best news I've heard in a long time! YEAAHHHH congrats! Love you!
xox
sara

lauren&thebananas said...

So thrilling!! welcome back to the hood!! Sadly I am full of germs as anth is sick and we are leaving for montauk in morning to detox. Will be back on 25th and plan on lathering up with purrell!!
PS don't forgot our new eps of Boy Meets Grill premiere every week on food net, look for your hard work! Also log on to on yahoo/food/In Search of Real food to see me and the kids in a stressfully produced seg.so pleased for you all, enjoy the couch, and hard won freedom!! xxxxl
I have moved the book launch to Oct, so you better be able to come!!

Anonymous said...

YEEHAW!!!!!!! That is the best best news I have heard in a long time. So happy for you all and to see you at home on that couch (lovely looking one by the way) brought a smile to my face and tear to my eye! Well done to the nurses, families, husband and friends but most of al to you and your indominatable spirt Bev! You are a hell of a woman. I know you will be inundated with calls, visits etc... and are proabably still tired but when you are ready, let us find a time for a cuppa and a phone chat. I am so happy you are home- germ killing and all. Go Brooklyn! Lots of love- Trina ps dancing to 5 am gave me a head cold. How sad and old!

Cathy said...

Wow Bev,
This is wonderful news! Well done, you've done it! We loved the photos - a great sight to see you at home. No more machine regimes.
Words can't say how great we think you are.

All send love.

Cathy

Cathy said...

Next stop cycling around Central Park. If Lance Amstrong can do it why not Bev? But you might have to reduce the tablets before the next Tour de France starts in 2008 otherwise your might just fail the drugs test. I know you can't wait know the latest results but CUFC beat Oxford 2-1 last night to go joint top of the table (not quite like Middlesborough tell Dad)Love John.

Bingleys said...

Great stuff!! Down the pills and keep moving. I wonder what mulberries and alcohol rub would do? Might just be that elusive elixir??

Delighted that you have been given your freedom and.... you won't abuse it will you? You've all gone through a tough time but keep up the indomitable spirit. We're all right there with you. And I did wish you and the Dad belated happy birthday wishes in the failed blog.

Lots of love, Bingleys

Pete said...

Congratulations Bev! Dawn and I are so glad that you are home! Please let us know when we can come up to see you.

All our love.

Dawn & Pete

Anna Novick said...

Hey Bev--- so glad you're home!! (Exclamation points cannot adequately express it. super duper extracalifragilisticexpialidocious glad!) welcome back.

Love, Anna

B.J. Owens said...

In my line of work, we also have chapters on "on hugging and kissing" but if you're having to read it you've probably transgressed.

Way to go, Bev! I am so happy to hear that you're home!

BJ

Cathy said...

Hi Beverley..I have been keeping up with your amazing progress via Cathy, and am delighted today to be able to blog to say FANTASTIC that you are home and dry[?],and I hope that all this continues , ..I hope we will be seeing Miki and David when we hit N.Y, in September, ..and we send love and hugs[not allowed[?]., from Pam and Vic xxxx

Mom Self said...

Sure hope the weather rain stops and the mold goes away so you can go out and enjoy your backyard.
However, I am actually loving the rainy weather and trying to figure out how to take some of it back to AZ with me. (I've already devised a plan to carry Jack and Addie home with me. I'm going to put them in doggie carriers and tuck them under the seat. If Addie poops, she'll give us away for sure!)

We hope that each passing day finds you growing stronger, Bev. Soon you'll be strong enough to join Tom and Archie for an early morning trip to the park to go fishing. I know that's quite an incentive for you.

I know your folks and Tom are doing their best to keep you on the path to healing and good health. Hope all your numbers are ringing up just right for you.

Our love to you and your wonderful care givers. God Bless and Love! ;-)xo

Bigmac said...

Hi Bev

Sounds like the weather with you is much the same as here - rainy and grey. Can't believe it is August - and I have my central heating on!

Hope the healing is going to plan and your counts are still climbing.

Love you

Ailis x

Figs, Bay, Wine said...

Bev, we're so glad you're home again, and we can't wait until we can see you guys again!

Mom Self said...

Any blog news? It's finally stopped raining here. I got the valance finished. Just have to hang it. Babies continue to grow. That's about it! How about you?

Love to all. ;-) xo