Thursday, July 26, 2007

Birthday Bash and Bronchoscopy






Because of all the birthday festivities the blog will be short today. Miki and Tom have celebrated too much with Lidocaine and Tonic, Beverley as you know is still sipping poppy juice, so I am the only neuronally unchallenged human in the room -or so I would have you believe ! The balloons came as promised from the selfless Self family and Beverleys Aunt, Uncle and cousins in Philly. Thanks to Skype, Beverley and her sister Jennifer were able to chat briefly across the Atlantic. Her brothers and sister in law in New York can be here in person of course. As promised the Sloane Kettering birthday cake arrived ! Although Beverley can sip apple juice and swallow a pill or two now, Tom and I have had to sacrifice ourselves to demolish the cake. Beverley's nutritional birthday treats today have been as follows: for her appetiser she had one 8 ounce carton of "RESOURCE"-"Nutritional Supplement Wild Berry Artificial Flavour;" she followed that with the entree which was one 8 ounce can of "ENSURE-Complete Balanced Nutrition -Lactose Free, Gluten Free and Vanilla Flavoured ;" Probably wisely she declined the dessert of "UP AND ATOM- POWERBOOST PUDDING-Chocolate Flavour." Honestly FOLKS I do not make these things up ! This was all washed down with dilute ice cold apple juice. What a fabulous birthday feast ! Hopefully I will manage to upload four photographs of the "party" into the blog to give you a glimpse of the shenaningans in the sick room. Beverley asks me to give her love to all of you, to say how much she misses all of you and to thank you for your gifts whether they were lip balm, magazine balm, birthday card balm, balloon balm or -in Tom's case- a wonderful book of perfect beach houses to be their dream for the future.

Beverleys counts had all increased again overnight and she is more lucid and awake with the planed reduction in poppy juice. Her mouth, throat and other key mucosal surfaces are healing well. Unfortunately what is thought to be the fluid around her lungs is persisting despite the diuretic medicine (Shut up Chris). Its only effect is to make her breathing more difficult, so it is more irritating than debillitating. There is a faint possibility of some lung infection, but because she is receiving a host of antibacterial agents plus two antifungals and one antiviral drug, the 'team' don't believe this is likely. However to have a closer look at what is going on in the lungs they will put a tube with a camera down there (Bronchoscopy) tomorrow afternoon. Beverley has had one before last December and knows what to expect. It means an anaesthetic and so she may be sleepy tomorrow.

Will keep you all posted

The Dad

16 comments:

Dad Self said...

Hi David,
Thanks for the great update and pictures!
Glad to hear the counts are steadily growing...will keep Bev in my thoughts and prayers tomorrrow as she endures the next procedure.
Hope you and Miki and Tom are getting some rest!
Talk to you soon.
Mike

DJG said...

Happy Birthday, Bev!!!

I'm trying to have more celebrity gossip for you. Perhaps if I ever ventured out of my apartment...

Monday night I went to see a terrible movie. Just awful. So bad I'm not even going to tell you the name of it. It's better that you not even know it existed.

However, I went to see it at my favorite theater (or, as your people say, "favourite theatre"). It is at this theater that I have seen (in the flesh, not on the screen) such A-listers as Chris Rock, Adam Sandler, Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire (Tobey even spoke to me). As it was a Monday night, there were no A-listers, but Scott Speedman (Ben from Felicity) was there -- it appeared alone, but perhaps he was just waiting for someone. And at the table next to me (there's a restaurant at the theater, and I had dinner before the terrible, terrible show) was Chris Masterson (Francis from Malcolm In The Middle).

I will try to be more social and perhaps learn how to use the camera on my phone so that I can send you pics of celebrities in the wild.

Happy Birthday!!

-Dana

Sara said...

We love the photos! It looks quite festive. Great news on the counts going up! We'll have to have another party when you're all better and we can eat, drink and be merry!
xoox
sara & john

Mom Self said...

All I can say is, "That looks like some wild party you're having there!" I hope the patients in the surrounding rooms don't call the cops! Wish we all were there!
Great pictures.

How selfless of David and Tom to take the cake for you, Bev. I hope they let Miki have a piece.

Jack and Addie did their first major photo shoot today. Mommy and Granny took lots of shots.
You're sure to see them in the next issue of People. (We're thinking of opening a studio. Not!)

Glad to hear you enjoyed your birthday, Bev. Have a good night.

Love ya! ;-) xoxo

B.J. Owens said...

Happy birthday to you, Bev!

Years ago, when I started my yahoo account, I did the somewhat nerdy, and damn near girly, thing of uploading my friends' birthdays to my yahoo calendar. I must have been temping that week, with time on my hands being paid for by big business. Somehow, your birthday and karen kane's are the only ones that I am still reminded of by yahoo.

(ps happy birthday karen if you're reading this)

Thanks for the pictures. I was terrified that you might be suffering from a shortage of tubes but thank God that's not the case.

Have I mentined I've added you to the ol' parish prayer list? That comes out of my paycheck, so you'd better make it count.

love you both

BJ

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the photos! What a treat for us to see you all there... I wanted to reach in there and give you a hug! Hope you are feeling good and enjoy the beach book- it will happen, I feel it in my waters! Much love and best wishes for a healthy and blessed year to come XX Trina

Gigi said...

Bev!
I've been thinking of you so much. I'm so glad to hear that your counts are rising. Great, great news.

I had lunch with Sheila yesterday and visited with Kim Weiler today over the cilantro-lime steak salad at Mooncakes by the old Queer Eye offices. ... ah, yes -- it seems I'm on July hiatus again -- though, this year without the knee surgery. (I played whiffle ball in Prospect Park 2 weeks ago with great success. Touch football proved to be less successful, though -- I pulled a muscle and was forced to sit out the rest of the game. The knee remained intact, however, so I didn't mind one bit.)

I'm back in brooklyn after having been away for 3 months working. I came home to a lovely surprise. Andrew's mother and Aunt had flown in from Michigan about a month before my return and helped Andrew plant beautiful flowers and vines in the back yard. It looked absolutely gorgeous. You should see the morning glories that have wound themselves around the razor wire that tops the fence... next year's barbecue.

Though I am not currently working per se, I'm busy in search of the perfect affordable wedding location in NYC. I'm getting a sinking feeling that such a place does not exist. I keep fantasizing that Carson will swoop down in his pink shorts and furry snow boots delivering tickets to my destination wedding in Prince Edward Island. Until then, I'll keep googling away, determined to find the perfect spot. I'm checking out a rooftop in Bushwick tomorrow -- I'll let you know how it goes.

Happy Birthday, Bev. Much love to you.
Gigi

Unknown said...

Alles Gute zum Geburtstag, Bev!

Still hailing from beautiful Ohio. Working late made me miss the opportunity to email you on time, but what the heck it's still Thursday on the West Coast, right?

Glad to hear about your progress. Keep working on those counts!

Jörg

Furrey Family said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BEV! I am such an idiot- I have your birthday card sitting here! Yep- bought it and then just left it in the bag and went on vacation for a week! I am losing it lately - you can ask my mom. Her 25th Anniversary card was 1 WEEK late and she was with me when I bought it:O)

Anyways- glad to hear that your counts are up. Hope to hear that you are up and around soon. I have to say that your have some very 'professional' bloggers in your family. They are always keeping me laughing. I just had to catch up on all that I missed and have been cracking up for the past half hour or so!

Stay strong- we love you and pray for you all the time. I will be sure to get that birthday card in the mail to you- by next year anyway!

Tracy

Anonymous said...

Hi Bev - I always remember your birthday because mine is today, 27th. I don't get balloons, though - I am a deprived person....please tell your Mum - one, I will take her advice about growing finger nails, and two - LURVE the sunflowers she is wearing! Aren't internet photos amazing? Loads of love from Liz Golding and family in Orwell xxx

Bigmac said...

Hi Bev

Great to see the action shots of the celebration - I love the balloons (I wonder if sucking the helium would help or hinder your throat??)

And as for your counts, I am suppressing the urge to create an excel spreadsheet (perhaps even with an illustration colour graph)to honour their steady climb up....proving not only that you are doing great, but also that I am a bit strange! (but you knew that already)

Love ya

Ailis xx

Aunt Beth said...

Dear Bev,
Your birthday pictures are just great. I do hope you had a wonderful day all things considered. Everyone looks very festive with the balloons adding a party atmosphere.
This is my second attempt at leaving you a message on your blog. Since I am blog illiterate I am hoping this reaches you. I only learned recently from brother Mike that there is something called a blog.
I will now try to read your blog (i just love to say blog) from beginning to present.
How wonderful that your parents are here to be with you as you become stronger and stronger.
Please say a big I love you to Tom and I am glad he is back home and with you.
We think and pray for you daily .
Luv, Aunt Beth

Cathy said...

Hi David,
What a great account of birthday celebrations in Sloane Kettering. Thank you for the brilliant updates that keep us in the picture. Talking of pictures, it was so good to see Bev sitting up. Progress is really on the way, with increased counts.
Give her our love. She is always in our thoughts, especially as she goes through yet another procedure.

Love to all carers too.
Cathy

Carson said...

Beaverly! Sorry I missed your birthday by a day! The blond is natural - so being a day late isn't really that bad at all!

Sending you lots of love,

Hugs and Cashmere,
Carson

PS. What, they don't let you wear Hermes at this hospital? Let's work on a glamour schmatta for the next big occaision, shall we???

Mom Self said...

Way to go Beth! I've been having trouble blogging on today, so I hope it works this time.

I like Ailis' idea about a chart to show your count progress, Bev.
It could be like one of those United Way thermometer posters. Or Tom and David could hold up cards like they do on Dancing with the Stars. Oh the possibilities!
Do you think I may need to get some fresh air?? ;-))))

Miki, I hope you weren't having to treat David and Tom for heart burn after they ate all of Bev's cake.

I'm about to tend to my rounds. Neither Lisa or Jay seem coherent enough to drive. (Lack of sleep.) That means I get to do the Costco, Walmart, Target run! I should be back by tomorrow.
;-)))))

Hope today is brighter than yesterday. Although the balloons did brighten the room!

Happy Day After Your Birthday!
;-) xoxoxo

Pete Malone said...

Happy (Belated) Birthday Bev! No way, you got the ENSURE-Complete Balanced Nutrition -Lactose Free, Gluten Free and Vanilla Flavoured shake!!!

I was begging Dawn for one of those weeks before my birthday....but she gave me the "I love you" crap gift! Well I told her...."That's all fine and good but I WANTED an ENSURE-Complete Balanced Nutrition -Lactose Free, Gluten Free and Vanilla Flavoured shake!

Then I cried and hid in the bathroom for 4 hours.

Your birthday sounds much bettr than mine.

Congratulations to your cells by the way. I hope that they continue to grow into a formidable army of health that will take over your body with their A- legions and bring you back to 100%!

Dawn and I will have to send pictures to you and Tom from our engagement party. We all had a blast! And we misssed you both very much.

For the record....Dawn tells me that at 4:00 AM,I, very, very drunkenly, passed out spread eagle on our bed wearing nothing but the headband and two wristbands that I had bought as intimidation pieces for our badminton tournament which was held in the back yard during our party.

We won the whole damn thing as well!! So my wristbands worked!

Dawn very much regrets that she was camera-less at 4:00 or otherwise there probably would be a picture of my naked humiliation to accompany this post. I say what humiliation?.....You would have had a picture of a victorious badminton champ to show friends and family!

OK.
I think we've said enough.

Happy birthday Bev.
We love you very much.
And we can't wait to see you soon!

Love,
Dawn & Pete