Friday, July 13, 2007

Day One

Tom here. The stem cells of a young white man dripped into Bev yesterday (Day Zero) without much fanfare. They started at a little after 1pm and finished up by 3pm. The allogeneic process is a lot simpler than the autologous of last year. No smelly preservatives and people shoving lemon wedges in her face to combat the odor (hint to the medical profession: the lemons don't work). The stem cells hung there looking like tomato soup so much that it made me want a grilled cheese sandwich. Bev has spent the first 35 years of her life having a blood type of O+, now over the next few weeks (possibly by her 35th B-day on July 26) her blood will start to type A+, the same as her donor's and coincidently, the same as me. How many husbands have wives who would go to such extremes to be a little bit more like them? I'm a lucky man.

As the legions of cancer conquering stem cells have entered the battlefield, so has mouth pain. We weren't much looking forward to mouth pain, but from experience we know it's something she can handle and get through. The hydromorphone pain pump helps (you really should get one). Having gone through similar pain last year, we know what works best for Bev and hopefully we'll be able to avoid the side effects of morphine and its withdrawal. In addition to the pain, it looks like she might be spiking a fever soon, not uncommon after transplant - just means getting blood cultures and maybe an X-ray done. Undoubtedly that will all happen about 2:30 in the morning because that's just when those things seem to happen.

Bev's parents have landed on our shores from the UK. We're very excited to see them (and I know they can't wait to see her). They're being held in quarantine outside of Philly tonight, but will be up tomorrow just in time to take over for me. I am not "going on a golfing trip" as Bev puts it. I am going to Scotland to WORK the British Open. It makes me feel very secure to know that I'll be leaving Bev in such loving care.

That's all for now. Hopefully Bev will be back to blogging tomorrow.

-Tom

7 comments:

lauren&thebananas said...

wow, what a journey for you both, and thank you so much for giving us a window as we've been on pins and needles.
love and kisses and cooling thoughts for the mouth meanies. and now the usual distracting updates:
we cut the 100th ep bev, and you would love it I will have sean sneak you a dvd.
my news is that I'm fine, but I was literally hit by an suv as I was for once legally crossing bleeker at lunch yesterday, no I wasn't on my treo, either. it was a nasty hit and run, but fortunately I felt him graze my leg before the mirror cracked my face open and pushed myself backwards off the hood. so my mom is typing this. I am really fine, a dozen tourists were yelling at me in german, but I made it back at work, never dull.
that was supposed to make you laugh it's a true story though.
ok, love you lots, good strong thoughts and cold beer soon enough, with lobster! xxl et al

Sara said...

Thanks so much for the update Tom. I bet you guys both need some rest. I hope there are no middle of the night x-rays! Have a safe flight.
xoxo
sara

Bigmac said...

A new blood group for her birthday - don't know how you are ever going to top that in future years Tom. I don't think even Hallmark make a crad special enough for that!!

Hope the mouth isn't too painful, and that the Girl herself will be back blogging soon.

Love to you all

A xx

Dad Self said...

Hi Guys,
Sounds like the stem cell commandos are on the march and doing their job!
Mom is having a tough time getting on to the blog site...I will try to help her figure that out.
My guess is that David and Miki are there with you now....that's great news. Hope they are rested from their trip...good to know they will be with Bev while you are thrashing about in the gorse.
Have a safe trip today Tom, and give Bev a hug and a kiss.
My guess is you'll be able to find a grilled cheese sandwich in Arbroath.
Talk to you soon.
Love,
Mom and Dad

B.J. Owens said...

Thanks for the updates. I am reading the saga of blessed asses and m-f therapy drugs with baited breath. The last go-round I signed on to a blogger account with a bogus address and password that I used only once for a tacky message on bev's message board...apparently I didn't see this one coming around again. But I've signed up for a for-real account this time...I actually remember my password now!
I am in nesting mode in Durham these days. Buying stuff for my postage stamp back yard (yes, Tom and Bev have a larger Brooklyn back yard than my north carolina yard) and getting ready to paint my downstairs. Lime green, to match the shag carpets, of course. My work life is kind of busy because my boss is on sabbatical, but I enjoy it very much. Most of the time, at least. I am doing a wedding tonight for a couple from Japan...she speaks no English, which is great because I don't even have to try to do premarital counseling and my sermon can be as long as I like it to be....which is about 2 minutes.
And then in a few weeks...a vacation!
But wait...this is Bev's message board, and now I'm talking about me. But then again, you're in the hospital, and how else do I expect you to hear about me? Good point, B.J.

I am well and I miss you and Tom. You are both in my prayers, with a special prayer of thanksgiving for A+Whitey, whose delicious stem cells are the reason we're all here.

rest well, and keep poopin' when ya gotta

BJ

Mom Self said...

I'm going to try this again. At least give me an A for the effort.

Hoping that you'll soon start the upward turn to feeling better, Bev. Sorry you couldn't join Tom on his "golf trip". I'm sure he would enjoy it a lot more if you were with him.

Hope your Mom and Dad had a smooth flight this time. I know you'll rest well having them there. Tom will, too.

Okay, now I'm going to press send and see what happens.........

Love ya lots. ;-) xo

Mom Self said...

Eureka! I did it! Hurray! ;-)