I was forced out of blog retirement to combat the foul calumny spread by my dear wife on yesterdays blog. The impression given was that all the men in town had deserted the bevbed for recreational activities. For example The Dad was said to be sunning himself on the beach ! I hereby wish to state that my only reason for seaking the seaside was to thoroughly wash and sterilise the five loads of laundry that my beloved daughter and son in law had preserved for my arrival. Following an ancient asian tradition the finest strategy for sterilising items from the sick room is scrubbing with sand, rinsing with saltwater and exposure to strong sunlight. And if my beloved wife has given anyone the impression that Tom has fled to Scotland to play the ancient game where they hit a haggis with a stick and knock it into the well, that is also an evil falsehood ! Tom is actually on a medical mission for Memorial Sloane Kettering to find and bring back lucky white heather for the Hospital phytopharmaceutical research programme. Incidentally have you all noticed that something strange happens to people's spelling in this First Ave Health Spa. First we have Tom with 'Naseaus", then Beverley with "apparantly" and now my own dear wife - who was trained at CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY PRESS- steps forward with "laundery." And now to Bev as the Bard said. Yesterday was a tough day with much throat pain engendered by the medical staff asking her to swallow two pills. Sounds simple I hear you say, but her mother and I should have been there to warn them that asking the Ellar girls to swallow pills is like asking your trusting friend to retrieve your wedding ring which you have acidentally dropped in your petrol tank, by looking into the opening with a candle. As children, a pill could only be introduced orally if the girl concerned held it between her own forefinger and thumb, placed it on the back of her tongue, closed her mouth until the parents averted their gaze and then silently but explosively propilled (sic) it away from her mouth, usually behind the red couch! Too weak to spit across the room Beverley accidentally swallowed the little beasties which promptly settled in her upper glottal regions and were a major pain for much of yesterday. Late in the wee small hours the decision was made to increase her euphoria with some serious poppy extract. This did the trick although Beverley has some exciting and fascinating mini episodes where she tells us all about the need to train more horses for the trip to mars ! But the good news is the pain is under control, she is showering regularly, she has enough voice now to blow away an unresponsive midnight medic and -best of all -she has been told she has "perfect urine" (Thanks to a proper parental upbringing I hear you say). Thanks to all of you for your messages- they are great medicine beyond anything they can give her here. I think we are on the way.
The Dad
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
16 comments:
What literary genious! I tremble with fear when I blog now. For fear that I will not get 100% on my spelling.
Thanks for clearing up your purpose for going to the beach. We all totally believe your explanation. By the way, to you have any swamp land for sale??
Not so sure about the lucky white heather story.
I can relate to the pill popping. We used to have to crush the pills and mix them with apple sauce to get them into Lisa.
Hopefully the return of "The Dad" will boost Bev's spirits. I hope laughing at your blog doesn't cause her additional pain. And I hope she gets a special treat for having perfect pee.
Maybe Mars is where Bev secretly hopes to spend her next summer vacation. Gotta love that poppy juice. Hopefully it'll help the mouth monsters to disappear.
And now the baby report.....
Addie got to ride back to the hospital with us today to visit her brother, Jack. She thoroughly enjoyed the car ride. (But she enjoyed sitting on Granny's lap while Mommy tended to Jack even better.) Jack had a good day. He nursed and also took a bottle. He weighs 5# 3oz. Rumors of a homecoming, but not exactly when.
We'll keep you posted.
We hope with each new tomorrow Bev will continue to feel better. Lot's of prayers coming her way.
I attended worship services at St. Matthew's yesterday. Bev's name was in the prayer concerns and many people were asking about her. I thanked them and told them how much it means to have that support. They send their love and good wishes.
That's all for now. Hang in there and cheer on the cell counts!
Love, ;-) xo
Bev,
Here is little celeb update for you. Eva and Tony are on their honeymoon in Turks and Caicos and were spotted playing ping-pong. Lindsay Lohan checked herself out of re-hab, Rebecca Romaijn and Jerry O'Connell tied the knot and finally Hugh Grant got engaged.
Keep smiling. Sending good thoughts and prayers your way.
xo
Sheila
Howe due eiye spelt blogg?
Ah, that felt good. All bad spellinge out of the way now. Also Bev, you will be glad to know that Lindsey Lohan is out of rehab and partying quietly here in Las Vegas. She says "Hi."
All those who have been scorched by "The Dad's" fiery poke at their respective spelling errors, I just want to point out that in the doctor's latest blog entry, he spells the word "seeking" as "seaking"... unless he was trying to be overly clever using an imbedded pun describing his place of frolic (the sea) within his verb structure.
Geez, I thought he was infallible. There goes another disappointment for me.
Fellow Bloggers,
Three cheers for The Dad! How many dads do you know, who would sacrifice a lovely day at the beach, for a lovely day at the beach beating five loads of laundry against the sand! I would say....not many.
And now the truth is told regarding Tom's secret mission to gather lucky pints of Guinness, NO, I meant lucky white heather in the name of research!
May the rewards to The Dad and to Tom be tenfold!
But enough of this....on to the main character....Beverly. Sorry to hear that the mouth beasties and the pill swallowing induced pain are still with you. May Tuesday bring you some relief. Congratulations on your perfect pee report!It's encouraging to hear that you are still swinging for the fences when the midnight medics arrive!
Keep it up...wait...this just in...
"Shortage of Horses Reported on Mars" Film at 11.
gee bev, your dad's story reminds me of a time my father went out for a quart of milk and came back with a new sound system. hmmm... so glad you have them there with you! Hope the throat is better whe you wake up. I don't know when you usually read but I hope my time change doesn't put me too far behind... hope the morphine is doing it's thing and you need it less and less. When is tom back and is he bringing cashmere? I fear I have no celeb gossip. All the good Aussie celebs live there. Except Hugh and Nic of course are out filming in the bush somewhere. That is the extent of my lame celeb news. Must think of new skill- perhaps I will send poems instead- not mine, fear not. Off to work! mUch love- Trina
Good morning, Bev. Hope the new day finds you making progress against the McYukkies of mouth pain, etc.
I'm amazed at the things I learn from your blog. Celeb news and who knew about the horses on Mars?
With your writing skills, your Dad's talent of spinning a yarn and the amazing info from fellow bloggers, you could come up with a sit com pilot from all their entries. (And if you do, I only want 10% for giving you the idea.) Someone is going to do it. Why not you?
No noise coming from the nursery...
Better go see how Lady Adelaide did through the night. Also need to see how Sir Jack is doing in the NICU.
Reports to follow...........
Hope it's a good day! ;-) xo
Hey Bev!
Abi texted me from Brazil (as you do) to tell me that you are 'back online'.... Hope you're going ok and those parents are behaving themselves. I am going to be quick as I am surrounding by boxes ready for our big move back to ..........Cambridge......... yes we have finally done it and the family Spires are going north. I am a bit sad leaving London but needs must (Sid and babysitters a plenty!). I am transferring to a forensic lab near Huntingdon and Ned is (cross fingers etc) hopefully about to land a job in Cambridge. I have just packed about five boxes full of Ned's bloody sketch books dating back to about 1980 and now must attack the kitchen. Anyway my dear I hope all your cells are doing the right thing and you feel the benefits soon. I'll blog again when we are in the new place (this friday) Take care and we are thinking of you lots. xxx
Only the best families have perfect urine!
Please give Bev our love, and thanks for the visual of grown men pounding laundry on Jones Beach.
- Mandy (Nikki's sister) & Rob
how was today? bit better I hope! ok for the gossip relief go to jezebel.com and you can see what faith hill really looks like--but more to the point how everyone is retouched within an mm of their pores.
otherwise, the bananas and I did a shoot for yahoo food, making parmesan chicken fingers. mathias thought the entire dredging egg process"disgusting" so once again verite rules our reality show. we then shot a picnic in our courtyard with the neighbors and 10 kids and boy did i miss you. it was the two young cameramen and lone ap. oy. luckily it will only be 3 minutes long. I did manage not to roll my eyes.
Wrangling the bananas and hosting was bit exhausting,so off for a big drink with the pta moms now. And one to toast to you, for fighting the fight. miss you, lots of love, laur
Good heavens... I am nearly speechless with awe at the pithy and witty words offered to us by blog and commentary alike! Bev, I know we've still never met and silly things like that - but you have been on my mind and in my heart for the better part of 18 months now... not that you should feel grateful or something... I just wanted you to know that there are definitely people out here who are thinking of you as they wake, grocery shop, battle their own little demons (mine are named Gabriel and Malcolm), etc. You bring a smile to my face with your funny husband and excellent family (by blood and marriage) - thanks! It doesn't hold a candle to your story but I intend to sit down and write a nice long letter letting both you and your fella know what has been going on at the house Atkinson of late. May God continue to bless you. All my love and best wishes,
Alli
I cannot believe that the Beckhams arrival in LA has not yet warranted a celebrity mention in this blog! Victoria posing for her driving licence photo has got to be enough to make anyone laugh!
Hope the mouth is feeling a bit better today and that the doctors have learned the error of their ways and are keeping the pain meds coming….
No news on Baby yet so we are now due date +1 – will keep you posted.
Love you lots
Ailis x
Great post Dad Self...Thanks for the updates! No worries about the spelling mistakes- I blame mine entirely on Bill Gates and his damned Microsoft Word feature that actually changes the errors before you even realize what they were!
Mini-updates on me: 3 more weeks of school, stil job hunting to no avail. Hey-- do you know anyone in production that is hiring? ;)
Hope the mouth blues and pill swallowing have eased up! Looking forward to next update....
Love, Lindsey
What a good read. We feel we are with you at Sloan Kettering when we read your excellent blogs. Now we know where Bev gets her literary skills from - a double dose of penmanship.
Horrid, horrid mouth beasts. We do hope they are retreating in the face of the marching cells. All power to their cellbow!
Weather in Scotland is forecast as poor, so no laundry on the beaches for Tom.
All send best love and brave hearts to all of you Self/Ellars
Cathy
Thinking of you! Sending good thoughts and karma and prayers straight up First Avenue to you.
Peggy
Oh my god!!! I have never had the pleasure of reading the "Ellar Blog"...David and Mikki you should take this on the road!!!! Too funny!
Well, sounds like progress is being made. Missed you last night, it was Chuck's birthday and we went to a Brooklyn Cyclones game. What great fun! It's what I imagine small town baseball to be like. The fans are fun and the mid-inning antics by some blow up characters is hysterical. Naturally we finished off the night with a ride on the Cyclone. My god, if I never see Coney Island again.....
Got a call to do some aerial stuff for a John Travolta movie. Quite possibly on my birthday!!! I am requesting to be IN the helicopter. There is talk of a 360 shot of the actors on top of the rock. I'm quite sure my small fear of heights will not get in the way.
I'll let you know.
Love to you all
kk
Post a Comment