. . . that's the day you get your stem cells back and that's what today was for Bev. Her stem cells are currently getting reaquainted and figuring out where they have to go and what they have to do. By Day Ten they will have found their way to the bone marrow and will start churning out white blood cells, red blood cells and platlets. All this is to rescue her from the effects the chemo had on her immune system.
The stem cell infusion itself took about a half hour. People in white coats came in, thawed out the stem cells she had harvested a month ago, put the cells in 4 syringes, then put the cells back into Bev. The syringes kind of reminded me of the one in "Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me" that Dr. Evil's henchman Fat Bastard used to take Austin's mojo. I'm sure you all remember. Anyway, the preservative that keeps the stem cells viable can make people nauseaus and it certainly didn't dissappoint with Bev. This won't be tallied up as one of her fondest memories while at Sloan Kettering. In addition, the preservative smells odd, to counteract the smell, a highly trained medical professional holds a half a lemon under the patient's nose. I'm pretty sure Bev had another idea where the medical professional could stick the lemon.
That's all for today, Bev's very tired and dozing away. Keep the prayers coming.
-Tom
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Thinking of you! Thank you for the update and the imagery ;-) Lots of love and well wishes.
Sara
As requested, prayers are on their way straight up the east side! Sucks that it takes this to get better - and I wish I could do something to change it for you and Bev.
I hope the chemo's cumulative effect starts to lessen tomorrow. Let me know if you need anything - you or Bev - I'm less than 40 blocks straight south and eager to help in any way.
Peggy
Still praying..... I am so sorry that Bev is having to go through all of this. These are the times when we want to ask 'why' - but we need to just have faith that God is in control and that His will will be done. You are both troopers and I am amazed at how well you are managing all that you are going through. As Aunt Jenny said- this is the bottom- you can only go up from here!
We continue to pray for you both. Bev- I pray that you will have minimal side effects and that you will start feeling better soon.
Thanks for the updates,
Tracy
Post a Comment