Some sneaky animal rights activist among you must have leaked my blog to the flying rodents -or pigeons as they are fondly known ! I suspect this because this morning while walking to the hospital with Miki on 68th street, an avian ace dive-bombed me scoring a direct hit !! This explains why I am sitting at the computer dressed in a Stanford University tee shirt-thanks to Tom. Beverley is too much into the poppy extract to blog, Miki is decontaminating my shirt with "Alcohol-based Hand Rub " and Tom -who took over the night shift from Miki last night - is in gainful employment as we say.
So SCIENCE RULES THE BLOG again today - especially for Pete and Dawn
You all know that we are looking for signs of the cancer free donor stem cells settling comfortably into Beverley and "engrafting" or becoming permanent residents. Successful "engraftment" usually takes 14-21 days after the transplant to show itself. Before the transplant (July 12th) Beverley had a course of Chemotherapy to eradicate her own stem cells so we can tell if the donor cells are taking over when we see big increases in all the blood cells (Red and white blood cells, blood platelets, neutrophils etc) that are normally produced from healthy stem cells. As I look at the charts today I can tell you all that her white blood cells have increased almost 60 fold from 12 days ago, her neutrophils have jumped 80 fold and her platelets 50 fold ! All the medical team now affirm that her graft is working for the moment. Her throat and tongue although still sore should heal more rapidly now that her cells counts are rising and with that in mind her poppy juice has been cut- only slowly to avoid withdrawal symptoms- but she is now merely drowsy and not making hand gestures and talking production schedules in her sleep as she has been for the past four days.
At the risk of boring you we all want to repeat our deep appreciation for the messages you send. When we see a lucid moment coming in poppy juice land we read to her about vodka and tonic and sunny beaches and downunder and shooting the American Princess. You all get a nod and a smile and hopefully in a few days a personal reply. Lymphoma Dad (2, Trev and Lee that means you guys too. Now I'm off to get the BALLOONS ! Yes folks it's Beverley's birthday tomorrow and this wonderful hospital has promised us a cake ! Several years ago tomorrow I held this little thing in my arms in the Mill Road Maternity Hospital Cambridge and I am not about to let her go now.
The Dad
P.S.Miki here - and on a lighter note, here's today's fashion tip. An easy solution to that problem of growing finger nails. Try wearing latex gloves 24/7 for 11 days and, hey presto, job done. Bye for now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
16 comments:
Hi David (all all other inhabitant of room 826)
Really great to get an update - especially one filled with so much maths and science but translated into something I understand!!
Hopefully poppy juice will allow Bev to have a good birthday tomorrow without too much interuption from side effects and mouth pain. If she is up to it you can remind her of the "side effects" we used to endure voluntarily following birthday celebrations - especially cooking fry ups for friends the morning after in the kitchen at Four Acres......
Lots of love to you all.
Ailis xx
It's great reading the good news! thanks. Production schedules in her sleep? She should be getting paid for her work!
Did you get a big box from me a few days back? it had a special gift in there for Bev's birthday day tomorrow so I hope you got it.
I hope the celebration is great tomorrow. Wish I could be there!
Keep those platelets folding, or wait, no, keep folding the laundry and multiplying the plates. Wait no-
xxoxo
sara
Okay, so I tried the rubber glove/no fingernail growth theory, and I ended up hurting myself. Turns out they do have to be rubber gloves (not leather) and if you get bored after a few minutes, put the glove over your head and try to blow it up ala' Howie Mandel, you will pass out. Lesson learned. Also did I mention it wasn't so much a glove as it was a pair of Wellies.
Guess what Bev- today is you rbirthday here in Sydney so...
Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you, Happy birthday dear Bev, happy birthday to you! HIP HIP HOORAy! I wish you the first of many birthday salutations! Your dad's email was great news- I think there is a beautiful symmetry that it wil be your bday and you are growing all these gorgeous new cells! I hope and know you will continue to mend and will soon be well once again. I raise a glass- well, coffee since it's morning- but tonight a nice charddy- in your honour and sending you and your my best wishes as always... XX Trina
David, you have been blessed. It's good luck to have a bird poop on your head! It happened to me at Disney World on my birthday one year. (The kids were quite amused by it.)
You mean Tom didn't let you borrow one of his OSU t-shirts? Tom, where are your manners?!
Thanks for the update on the good progress that Bev is making. I'm sure growing all those new cells is quite tiring. (Jack and Addie can relate. But they get breast milk not poppy juice.)
One week down and hopefully this next one will go quickly and get enough cells going on to make you start feeling less mouth and throat pain. But then, of course, they'll take away the poppy juice.
Maybe pomegranet (spelling) juice would do until we'll be able to celebrate with champagne.
I guess you'll just have to "let them eat cake" tomorrow, Bev. Maybe when Mike and I come to visit, you'll be up for a Brooklyn Black Out cake! Our treat!
Miki, thanks for the growing nails tip. Changing diapers and washing hands can do a number on your nails. But it's so worth it.
My hands have never been so clean!
Babies are "chubbing" up. Tom you remember Lisa and her cheek- pinching fetish. Now she has two cute little sets to pinch.
Happy Birthday Eve, Bev. We hope your Birthday finds you feeling better and better. (Thank you, you wonderful donor, where ever you are!)
Love ya gobs! ;-) xo
Happy Birthday Sis.
Hope you can find a moment in your purple haze to blow out those candles.
I love you.
Love to all.
John & Aud
Happy Birthday to you!
Happy Birthday to you!
Happy Birtday, dear Beverley!
Happy Birthday to you.
I sing much better in a blog than I do in person, so you can be greatful for that.
Hope this is a good day for you!
;-) xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
happy birthday bev! we'll be having a belated celebration after you get out. hope you're feeling better soon.
m
Hi Birthday Girl!
It's your big day, and I want you to know I'm celebrating with you from afar.
Balloons,cards,cake,presents, family, and poppy juice (stirred not shaken, please).....I'm talkin' party here! Make sure you tie down that gown before the dancing begins!
Happy Birthday Bev!
Love,
Dad Self
P.S. Celeb question...Is it really necsessary to shoot the American Princess? Seems a little extreme. Just wonderin'
DS
Happy Birthday Bev! Lot's of Love, Mandy & Rob xo
Hi there Birthday Girl
Hope you are having a good day, and that the neutropenic cake from the hospital measures up to that from Little Red Hen (but I doubt it!)
Lots of Love
Ailis x
Happy Birthday!!!!!!
26??
Missed you last night, Chuck and Margaret took me out to this great french restaurant in Tribeca. Margaret was in a bit of haze for a while trying to get used to being south of 14th street. I'm not sure she had ever realized that Tribeca existed. We had a wonderful time, but missed you dearly.
Next year we will be back celebrating our birthdays together and hopefully you will have kicked that morphine habit of yours! If not, bring enough for everyone!!
Love you and many many birthday wishes
kk
Good news abounds. Eagerly cheering on all those cells as they continue to graft!
Sending all good thoughts and prayers.
Peggy
Hello again to the party crew,
Had to share these funnies on your birthday Bev.
From the Mensa Invitational:
1. Intaxication: Euphoria at getting a tax refund, which lasts until you realize it was your money to start with.
2. Reintarnation: Coming back to life as a hillbilly.
3. Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people, that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The Bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.
4. Cashtration (n.): The act of buying a house, which renders the
subject financially impotent for an indefinite period of time.
5. Giraffiti: Vandalism spray-painted very, very high.
6. Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the
person who doesn't get it.
7. Inoculatte: To take coffee intravenously when you are running late.
8. Hipatitis: Terminal coolness.
9. Osteopornosis: A degenerate disease. (This one got extra credit.)
10. Karmageddon: It's like, when everybody is sending off all these
really bad vibes, right? And then, like, the Earth explodes and it's
like, a serious bummer.
11. Decafalon (n.): The grueling event of getting through the day
consuming only things that are good for you.
12. Glibido: All talk and no action.
13. Dopeler Effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.
14. Arachnoleptic Fit (n.): The frantic dance performed just after
you've accidentally walked through a spider web.
15. Beelzebug (n.): Satan in the form of a mosquito, that gets into
your bedroom at three in the morning and cannot be cast out.
16. Caterpallor (n.): The color you turn after finding half a worm in the fruit you're eating.
And the pick of the lot:
17. Ignoranus: A person who's both stupid and an a--hole.
Party on.
Dad Self
Hello all of you upstairs. What great counts. Well done Bev! As I write this, it is actually Bev's birthday already in UK land, so we are all wishing her a very happy productive day, filled with hospital cake, balloons and blog wishes. Rachel says to send a special one from her.
Love Cathy
Happy Birthday Bev!
The Floyd Family is thinking of you and hoping that everything goes as smoothly as it possibly can. It sounds like the new cells are really setting up shop.
Your encouragement meant so much to my Dad. He would've been 60 today, and I'm sure he's rooting for you too.
With all my heart,
Patrick
Post a Comment