Dear all, As most of you know by now we're headed for another transplant starting today. This time I am getting someone elses stem cells, a young white man is all we know about him but I am hoping he will turn out to be Ailis's future husband and am willing to go through all this if thats what it takes for Ailis to meet the man of her dreams.... Ailis, you know you can count on me. He is anonymous for now but I am told that in a year I will be allowed to correspond with him and thank him for basically saving my life. (as well as find out if he's tall enough to date Ailis).
I know some of you were curious to know exactly what he gets out of it and basically it's nothing, no payment of any kind and he has to take time off work to have his stem cells collected. This is done in a pretty easy way, they spin them off his blood over a couple of days and then pack them up and fly them to me bit like a donor transplant. I then have them infused in a pretty straigtforward way through my central line - this happens next Thursday so technically the 12th of July will be a new birthday for me. Its also the day my mum and dad get here from the UK and my sister Jen moves into her new house so it's gonna be a busy one!
Once I have his stem cells we wait and hope and pray for a solid and quick engraftment of his immune system into me. I will get a whole new blood type which is cool along with who knows what else.....All being well his immune system will recognize any cancer left in me and kick it's ass back to cancer land pronto! It's alot more complicated than that and there are some potential bumps along the way but hey, but if you want to know more there is always Google.... My father banned me from googling a long time ago, (threatened to cut off my hands to be exact)....Just remember, statistics is just fuzzy math, right Bridget..... ;-)
Today I was admitted and given a new central line which has three lumens meaning three places they can hook up three different kinds of crap to me - anything from antibiotics to chemo. It's delightful and as I write I am attached to something that looks about the size of a small European car and has to be dragged behind me wherever I go... Deep Joy. Tomorrow chemo starts for 5 days then Wednesay is a day of rest (ha ha) and Thursday I get my stem cells. The good news is that we scored the mack daddy of all rooms on the 8th floor! It's twice the size of our last one and Tom actually has a pull out leather couch this time. I need to take a rain check on visitors for now but all deliveries of tabloids such as In Touch, Us Weekly etc are gratefully received. You all know about my secret addiction to all things celebrity.
Hope this schedule puts you all in the loop as Tom and I would be lost without you. Your constant care, help, love, good thoughts, prayers, ju ju and whatever else have meant the world to us over the past 18 months and we just hope you can all stick around for the happy ending. I will try and blog every day but in my absence there will be some guest bloggers back by popular demand. You'll just have to check in to see who.....Please pass this on to any and all I may have forgotten and anyone you feel might get a kick out of the ramblings of some old English bird with cancer.
I figure if Paris can do 23 days and Alan Johnston can do 16 weeks I can hang out here for a while, I mean really, who wants to ride the subway in July and August anyway?
All my love
Bev
xoxox
P.S If any of you have skype or webcams you can always call me up - my skype username is beverleyself and I'm not sure how the other ones work but I have a mac laptop with a built in camera. I got to talk to Archie on the webcam tonight and it was pretty cool.... we miss the doodle....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
Jeez, Bev, we knew you were after the blood of young white men--for us yanks, vampires always have English accents, including those from Transylvania--but this is ridiculous. Let us know if we can be of any help. Much love, T&B
Bev-
I'm sorry to hear you are back in the hospital. I will keep you in my prayers. May humor find it's way into your life every day and make you laugh. :)
Love, Amy
Hi Bev, Baby Rachel and I are sending you lots of Happy, Positive and Healing thoughts...Please let us know if we can do anything for you, Tom and/or Archie...XOXOXOXO Betsy
Ah sweetie! This sucks! I am sorry to hear you have to go back in and sorry have been out of loop. I hope this guy has the best damn stem cells EVER! Sending good old Down Under Love to you along with Mojo, Juju, Prayers, Light, Love, and an open invitation to come lay on the beach here when you are recovered! Hope all goes as perfectly as it can. Am holding you in my heart and mind darling... Lots of love to you and hug to Tom too- Trina
Oh, That was Trina Bev- not some strange guy named Malcolm (my flat mate. I am a novice blogger (You are surprised I am sure) but will catch up. Love love love- Trina
Hey Babe, I am honoured that you are prepared to go through all of this just to find me a fella! As a concession, I may even be prepared to break the over 6ft rule if we find out the donor is vertically challenged...... Love you loads Ailis xx
ok sweetie, glad to here that you've already gotten a room upgrade at spa sloan, and that a big strapping male is at your service. So,by my calculations you will be up and ready to get back to work by early fall. I think we should each send you an assignment so you can put this time to good use. start googling bean recipes for me please. You can make calls, no? List to follow.
Now I'm only half kidding. But Anthony and the kids and I (and of course nikolai) hold firm and fast to our belief that you will continue to astound and astonish and pull through this summer's tour of duty with the strength and grace that are your constant.
We love you, and decadent packages to follow. xxlauren and the bananas et co
ps. don't forget martha's anderson days, we all have our trials:)
I hope you feel better bev at the hospital. mommy, daddy and mathias and me miss you too. natasha
Hi Bev,
You are going to be feeling so much better soon! I was able to meet my unrelated donor and she is an angel!!! We still talk regularly. It has been 4 1/2 years since my transplant and I am feeling the best I have felt in 10 years!! You can do this!!!
Love,
Cheryl
Ahhhh the blood of a young white man...
Bev, we are thinking of you. As soon as you're up and about, you and Tom must come to dinner and I'll make you absolutely ANYTHING you have a hankering for. Start a list.
Much love,
Mandy & Rob
Mum and I arrive on a Virgin next Thursday. We will get to the hospital earlier if you arrange to have the new York Times delivered to your room each morning. (Charge it to your insurance comapany) Remember to tell the staff that my favourite tipple from the relatives room is cranberry juice cut half and half with apple. Love Ya
Dad
"All being well his immune system will recognize any cancer left in me and kick it's ass back to cancer land pronto!"
Ah Cancerland...I remember being my least favorite of the board games released by the Hasbro corporation
Post a Comment