Hi to all from Mum and Dad Ellar
Sorry for yesterday's absence but we were all sitting around eating chocs and reading novels. Just kidding! (Not me folks ! As usual I was doing laundry-Dad) Today has been hectic and the theme is water, both the city's and Beverley's. We woke up to thunder storms and the news that Queens is under water, well the subways anyway. (Republican Dad thought she said the "Queen" was under water and rushed for the champagne !) And Bev woke up with shortness of breath caused by retention of water. So today's efforts have all gone into resolving that issue. She's lying here as we write with an oxygen mask over her face and diuretics going in (Into a vein not the Oxygen mask !-Dad). This is all a balancing act of course and diuretics mean more bathroom stops which means more shortness of breath and round and round we go. Add to this a nose bleed caused by a nasal cannula and you'll see what I mean about hectic.
Seriously though we continue to be overwhelmed by the nursing staff who tirelessly implement the medical staff's expertise with such skill and good humour. The mouth monsters seem to be roaring less thanks to magic mouthwash - a special cocktail with Lidocaine as the magic ingredient.
Things are not all medical however as she had time to check out Eva Longoria's wedding dress in OK thanks to the gift of a copy from well wishers. We liked it but didn't think much of the bridesmaid's outfits.
Please keep those comments coming. Especially nice for us to hear from Cathy yesterday- (Hi John - steer clear of laundry -Dad) Just exercise caution with your outpourings in case we ever take up Ma Self's idea of publishing a book.
Love to all
Miki and David
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
Hi Bev, Tom, Mike and David! Eagerly watching every day from Ledbury. You are such a great lot and you inspire us daily with your fun and humour. Your comments, Bev, about looking at yourself in the mirror and telling yourself you could cope are just awesome - you are some gal!
But The Dad's spelling is faltering too - dare a mere retired primary school teacher tell him so? (I had better read this twice lest he finds mistakes therein!)
Good luck Bev. Thinking of you all the time even though we have only met you once in Kingston Village Hall, but we are sending all of you all the positive thoughts in the world.
Ruth and Frank
Nasal cannula - I had to look that up. There's a nice illustration on wikipedia that told me quickly what we were talking about. Sounds like a good day to be indoors. Who really goes to Queens? Oh wait, sorry Karen ;)
Thanks to your lovely parents for the updates. We are thinking about you all the time and this blog is a great connection to you guys. Although I am a little intimidated by your father's grammer and spelling accuracy but it is fun to read his descriptive accounts. He should write a book, maybe he has, I'm mumbling, " Hi David!"
Sorry to brag but San Francisco is 70 and sunny. Nothing else to exciting to report...I miss you. Take it easy and I look forward to your next blog. We're sending you fast healing thoughts.
xoxo
sara & john
Well, that certainly explains why no one answered the phone......
We saw the news and were relieved to hear it was only a broken water pipe in NYC. And they had the nerve to call New Yorkers "jittery"! Rubbish! I've never met a jittery New Yorker in my life!
We here in Babyland know what a nasal cannula is. Jack and Addie have some experience with them. They liked to pull them out and suck on them. (We don't recommend you do that, Bev.)
We hope the oxygen and diuretic cocktails do the trick. And thank Heaven for the magic mouth wash.
Sounds like you have the same caliber of caring medical staff that Jack and Addie have had. Angels of mercy seems a good way to describe them. So skilled and so compassionate. God bless them.
Let's hope that tomorrow is less eventful than today. And that you have a restful weekend.
Addie goes for a check up tomorrow.
We'll let you know how that goes.
Today we all got schooled on the monitor that Jack will come home with. I'm sure we'll all freak out when it goes off. The instructor assured us it would go off, but it will most likely be a false alarm.
That's the latest from Glennview Lane. It's a wrap and Granny's going to bed.
Love to all! ;-) xo
PS:(We would be happy to share some pampers with you if the trips to the loo (sp)get too tiresome.)
Hello,
This is Aunt Patty and you guys are making me crazy.
Here we go, never did learn how to write to good let alone how to spell. ( Just ask my sister Jenny, Ma Self)You would think that I was from West Virginia. ( Hope I spelled that right)But I was the youngest of 5, and by the time I got there, it was like, oh look another youngin.Bev, sounds like the mouth wash is working, this is a good thing.Nasal cannual, now that is something I needed to look up too, well I really didn't look it up, once I read Jenny's version of it I understood. Please don't suck them in.
Here it is only Weds. and just think Tom will be there in in less than 5 days. This is a good thing. You hang in there girl, sounds like you have great doctors and nurse's, plus your Dad and Mom is a bonus.
Love you guys, Can't wait till the next entry. Aunt Patty and Uncle John
Hi Bev et al... Cannula is a good word- though I have no idea what one is or what it does... I will leave that to the professionals. I am glad you are in the hands of some great nurses. In my limited expereince they are the ones who actually know what is going on. We have a bunch of Irish ones living in the building though and man so they like to drink and sing. I would have to drink to do what they do too. Nothing in Sydney to report- we have our Indian doctor who is connected to the terrorists in London (so they say) going into the notorious immigration detention centre. And we have a lot of election hoo ha happening though nothing like ther I imagine. Is rudy G. really running? The sun is up- about 60 degrees and everyone whinging about the cold. Woosies. Hope the drugs, the love and time are all working their magic! Off for a walk darling! mUch love- Trina
Hi to the Self/Ellar team and thanks for the update.
I am trying to work out if the oxygen and cannula are also attached to the small european car that Bev has been dragging around with her pole, or if they have now had to upgrade it to a USA SUV for carrying the extra load?
Rain is featuring heavily here to, and that and the strong winds are causing a few problems for the 6.30am(ugh)tee off time for the start of Open today. I am starting to believe that perhaps Tom's "holiday" in Scotland has some major downsides......
Thinking of you all
Ailis x
I would much rather you write about canneles or canolis than cannula so plse make that the goal for end of month (hint: pastries, best canneles are from balthazar) canolis from carroll gardens.
hope today is smoother and drier for all. We are off to camp visiting day tales of pee wee tennis to come.
Mathias is here, and says "come over soon"
oh in celeb update, went to no reservations screening by bon appetit mag last night. apparently czjones is not so sweet, aaron is lovely but dumb as a post. sorry aaron to publicly proclaim that but bev deserves some entertainment. movie was bit too depressing for me. ok, more later.xxl
more later, feel good!xxl
I totally agree about the bridesmaids dresses. But did you see that everyone got an alhambra bracelet as a favor? Sort of blows my Hemingway book thing out of the water...Hope the diuretics do the trick soon and have you feeling more comfortable!
I'm not a big fan of "Diuretics" or anything else L. Ron Hubbard has written. See you all at the Beckham's party at Tom and Kate's this weekend.
Well I just have to tell you how much Dad and Mom and the rest of you, had you decided to spend the summer in Cambridge instead of the geyser-torn streets of NYC, are missing back here with our weather. Threatening black skies, buckets and sheets of rain all of a sudden, then brilliant sunshine, then back again, just as you get on your bike to collect the Thursday bagels from the corner shop. We DID have an absolutely GLORIOUS evening for the Book Club Summer Party II on Wednesday. (Women only -- Whit and our visitor Chip walked up and down out front carrying signs of protest, though we actually think they were more annoyed at having missed out on the yummy pot-luck food than in the discussion of an excellent though hugely depressing book.) We missed you, Miki! (And there was not a devilled egg in sight, would you believe...)
We all raised a special glass to Bev and to Tom and to all of you -- maybe Bev wants to start a New York branch of our book club? (We could send her the 'rules', but then they might be as indigestible as those pills you had to take.)
As the person who was Miki's contact at the Press when she was working there, I will brook NO criticism -- typing on these tiny bits of website space does nothing for one's spelling, grammar or fluidity. And why doesn't somebody put in a spellchecker if they are so all-fired keen, hey David, when you're not at the beach or in the skullery. And anyway maybe Miki's trying to tell David that if he can spell it, he can do it! That's despite all other indications to the contrary about the quality of this blog, surely a candidate for the National Institute of Blogical Excellence, or something with a better acronym than that...
Well, we send you all our best on a dark Friday morning on this side of the Atlantic, just as the gale for the weekend is starting up. Dire warnings of floods for the poor people further north and west of here; since we're going to London for the day tomorrow, watch out for our umbrella as it passes over your heads.
Love and hugs from
Lynn and Whit
ok. read page six today, blind item.
yes. can't bear not seeing your expression.
sending big package next week,lots of lovely brit mags, miss you and hope you are learning a new language or distracting yourself from pain with juggling skill, etc xxl
Hello my Aunty Bev...It's me Jack. I asked Mom to send you this quick note today as I am due to spend yet another night in the NICU. Well, I guess it's you & me and our "silly" blood cells. Mom tells me they're not really silly, but that these cells -(specifically red blood cells for me) are actually very important for our bodies to become & stay healthy. The Dr's in the NICU say mine still need some time to fill in & so I hear we're both working on the same thing! It sounds like I'll be spending yet another night here in the hospital.
What say you & me break out of this joint real soon?!? Short of a good sharp nail file, my body's working as hard as it can to get better & out of this place! I know you're working real hard too! Mom & Dad tell me about you every day that they come to visit. They tell me that you & Uncle Tom are just waiting to spoil Addie & me like crazy...and that's just what Aunt's & Uncle's do!! I'm sure ready to be home & spoiled by anyone who's interested!
OK Aunt Bev - I love you very much & I know we'll be getting out of this "joint" soon! Keep the faith!! I have to get back to the tough job of growing for now.
Love You Lots, Jack
Post a Comment