Friday, July 20, 2007

Just an ordinary day in Gotham city

All quiet in Room 826 this morning as we check the hospital pipes for steam leaks. Why steam leaks do I hear you ask ? Well if you have been been following the slow decay of the Big Apple, you will know that in addition to 'panhandlers', itinerant musicians, compulsive subway rapper choirs, kamikaze pigeons and spatially challenged newly arrived occidental taxi drivers, the New York commuter now has to be alert for geysers erupting from the sidewalk and covering passers-by with a excoriating mixture of scalding steam, red mud and asbestos dust ! Sleeping comfortably across from Beverley until Tom returns next Monday, Miki is safe from all these terrors. I on the other hand have to venture forth each evening lugging giant bags of laundry to tread the perilous path to Brooklyn. Actually by carrying the bags on my head I discovered that I am protected against all of these terrors: avaricious pleading amateur musicians think me one of them but with my accordion on my head; by slightly opening the bag and inserting my head, I muffle rapper concerts on the subway without causing offense to the chorus because I am judged to be mentally challenged; the pavement march of the bright blue IKEA bag sprouting giant ear-like handles and trailing the odd pyjama leg scares the ordure out of the pigeons but apparently not aimed at me and finally when the linguistically challenged taxi driver hesitates to venture across the Brooklyn bridge after dark, I threaten to butt him with the blue laundry monster !

Ah do I hear you ask how is the patient ? Sleeping I am happy to say. For the past three days she has been retaining fluids to some extent -perfectly normal in a proportion of patients. In the face and limbs the extra fluid just causes some swelling but fluid around the lungs makes the patient have to breathe harder to obtain the same intake of oxygen. To deal with this Beverley is now breathing pure oxygen and being infused with the drug Lasix -a diuretic- which will reduce the fluid retention. Unfortunately the fluid doesnt evaporate and the consequence is that Beverley's visits to the bathroom are as frequent as wet days in Cambridge. Another normal consequence of the chemotherapy that patients receive before the donor white cells are given, is the condition known as Mucositis. As we saw after her autologous transplant last August, Beverley seems especially susceptible to this. Chemotherapy is designed to kill all rapidly dividing cells in the body. In aggressive form cancer cells can reproduce every 24 hours, but so do cells lining some internal surfaces of the body such as the mouth, throat and intestinal tract. The chemotherapy therefore also kills these- mucosal cells- hence Mucositis. There is no magic relief, Beverley just has to sit it out until replacement cells recolonise her mouth and throat etc. Meanwhile its very painful, difficult to speak and she cant swallow. So if she doesnt talk on the phone for a few more days please be patient folks . She certainly mumbles about you all constantly, adores the blog comments and exhorts us to "read that again." You all make a difference I promise you.

Finally I am delighted to hear from Lynn in Cambridge that Whit is bravely spearheading a protest movement against all-female book clubs. Its an insidious English discriminatory movement that seeks to deprive men of equal partnership with women. Rest assured that I shall campaign vigorously on this side of the pond to prevent my younger daughter from becoming infected !

The Dad

11 comments:

Jay & Lisa said...

Hello Aunt Bev...it's me Jack again. I had Mom respond to your last post this morming but before she saw this latest post from your Dad...so you may have missed my response. I hope you get a chance to go back and read it. Hope your feeling better real soon. I'm sorry to hear you're in so much pain right now. I'll say extra special prayers for you today when Mommy & Daddy come to visit me. We say our prayers every day.
I luv u!! Love, Jack

hanginthere said...

Hi Dear Bev,

My God you are an inspiration to all of us who sit around bitching and moaning about all kinds of stupid stuff...not that we'll stop, but at least you give us pause!

I'm thinking of you all the time and looking forward to when we can drink and laugh together again soon.

In the meantime, I will be in the city this weekend and plan on dropping off a great celebrity filled gossip book for you--Mia Farrow's bio. For any of you who haven't read it--it may be old gossip, but it's some of the best!

Hopefully I can get it to you on Sat, along with some other trashy mags! (after I have read them first of course)

Hang in there. We are all anxious for your return. Remember wife swap is waiting...something to live for...

Love,
Kathleen

Sara said...

Hi Bev, Mom & Dad,

Thanks for the post. At least you guys are seeminly safe in doors, sounds like the city's a mess! I'm glad Bev's sleeping. In the limited time I've been ill it's better when you can sleep through it. The Mucositis sounds awful. I hope this time goes speedy for you. Sending you good juju!

I'm just slaving away at work. It's so hard to focus on Fridays. My parents will be here for a visit in a little less than 3 weeks and I'm so excited. We plan to just do day trips around the city and take it easy. I know you know how I feel when I say sometimes it's really hard to have your parents so far away. ;) I'll be thrilled when we can teleport home for dinner when we miss them.

Let's see what else to report. John tried to paint a panel of his car yesterday and it didn't go well. He bought a special paint gun and rented a compressor. He needed to repaint a section where he had repaired some rust. He spent hours masking the whole thing and protecting the area. Then it spattered out like glubby drops (no that's not a word.) He was pretty bumed. It was cute in a sad way. He has to sand the paint off to try again. I think I'll be looking for a proper auto painter next week...

Well I better do some more work if I want to get out of here. You email me if you need any DVD's or anything!
xo
sara

Mom Self said...

[OK, Patty, I'll translate this one for you....

You've been to NYC. You know what it's like. Close your eyes and imagine.

David is blending in well with the people on the streets. Something I'm not so sure I'd be proud to admit.

Bev is retaining water which is causing some swelling in her arms, legs, face and lungs. She is taking Lasix for this. However, Lasix causes extra trips to the WC (toilet). This exercise causes her to be winded, so the oxygen will help this.

The chemo has caused the cells from her mouth and down through her digestive system to fall off. This causes talking and swallowing to be painful.

And finally, it seems that Englishmen have a problem with women's organizations! I don't understand that one myself. (Just kidding!)]

Lisa and Jay have left Granny alone with Addie. A pure delight for me! She tells me her secrets when we're alone. Don't tell.

It appears that Jack is going to stay another night at Hotel Lankenau. I think the special is Lobster tonight and he doesn't want to miss it. Actually, I think the staff will miss him too much and are keeping him as long as they can.

Mommy and Daddy are going to make the best of it and go to dinner after their visit with Jack this evening. They know once they have both babies at home, they may never want to leave them. (Maybe when Grandpa Self arrives and there are four hands instead of just two, they'll do another night on the town.)

Rest well. Limit the chatter and let everyone guess what you're thinking. That's what Addie does most of the time.

Love all around! ;-) xoxo

PS: If I ever make it on the Millionaire Show, Bev, you'll definitely be my phone-a-friend
for celeb trivia!

Cathy said...

Dear all of you up in space. As a Cambridge fen dweller I am very attracted to the idea of you folks living a life high above ground, except of course when David has to return to earth with the blue bag.You have had storms, so have we, and interminable grey. Central heating on and socks. So are you high enough up there to get above this cloud layer? If so I am on the next plane.
We think of you all, and Tom too in Scotland, missing you I bet. We all send love and thoughts to a valiant Bev and her fab parents.
Cathy

Dad Self said...

Hi to Bev, Miki and David,

Glad to have your update in today's blog David...you give "theater (or is it theatre?) of the mind' a whole new meaning. Really though, it's time to unhook the morphine drip and return it to its'rightful owner!
Bev, I have no trashy celeb updates to report. For some reason we don't have a lot of sightings here in Sun City West. Yesterday's excitement was watching the local power company replace the spent bulb in the street light on the corner. Yawn...
Do hope that the latest mix of meds is helping allieviate the latest round of symtoms, and hate that you are having to deal with them.
Got an e-mail from Tom this morning. He reports good weather today, and that he hopes to have a wee more pub time and a visit to the Abroath Abbey to visit Thomas Becket. I suggested he keep an eye out for the King's Knights! Apparantly he has befriended the local population of dogs, of which he reports are many and friendly.
The truth is, he would really rather be there with you, and is looking forward to the day when you can go to Scotland together.
Looking forward to your next update.
Love to all....and stay off the manhole covers.
Dad Self

DJG said...

Hello Bev!

I've been thinking of you and your erstwhile husband this week, specifically because I have been to the two worst Dodger games of the season. First, the Phillies handed us our asses Tuesday night (we gave up 26 hits and 13 runs and for the first time in my life, I left Dodger Stadium early). Then last night, the Mets hurt us deeply. We gave up six runs in the first inning but looked like we'd come back a few times. It was all a tease in the end.

So first the Philadelphia and NY connections made me think of you, but there were a few celebs in the stands last night: Greg Grunberg (of Heroes, and pretty much anything JJ Abrams does), Ray Romano, and Tom Hanks. I'd like to report some sort of fisticuffs, but they all seemed to be rather boring.

If you haven't already, you must surf over (or force whomever is manning your computer to surf over) to http://gofugyourself.typepad.com/. The best website ever, but sometimes the ladies who run it don't proofread themselves so well. And, it's very funny, so if laughing hurts, maybe only read in small doses.

Keep on fighting, and keep on blogging.


Thinking of you...

-Dana

lauren&thebananas said...

hello, sorry about the mucositis, but i imagine this also means your skin cells are doing the same, so you must be glowing, and can put off the celeb restylene and botox ritual for another few years. see the bright side!

let's see, sadly the page six blind item wasn't our flay boy, as apparently his plane touched down just this am. so disappointing. sean, katie and all the editors are gone, and i have 3 days of online and it's all over already! looking forward to rest of summer off, concoting bean recipes.

get someone to burn you a dvd of mad men, the new amc show (the first ep is at amcon demand) set in the 50's in the adgame, written by one of the soprano writers--I think you and your parents will enjoy.

ok sweetie, lots of love and kisses and cooling thoughts for the mouth and throat. oh and in my medical news, bone density was fine, just shrinking from laziness i guess. xxxl

Anonymous said...

hi bev and fam...the steam pipe explosion made the Sydney Morning Herald yesterday. Very dramatic photos of one particular woman all bloodied and stunned- and how eveyone was scared it was a terrorist attack etc...Almost a relief to know it was just some dodgy old 19th century abestos laden pipe. Ok- the mucositis sounds like one nasty customer- I hope soon you will be able to have popsicles andthings and Lord only knows, be able talk and swallow. Somehow Bev, I can't picture you not talking! Hope the drugs are soothing and you have a restful weekend with new gorgeous cells happily coating what they should be coating. Me, I am off to the salt mine called the restaurant. Can you beleive I stil work in one? I must be a glutton. I reckon teaching high school english will be a walk after years in the restaurant trenches. Will write after the weekend though I think I have the most boring blog skills. You guys are good man- i would buy the book. Miss you and think of you every day darling! Love,Trina

Bigmac said...

Hi all at Sloane

Thank to the BBC I am well up to date with steam explosions in New York city, but also heard of sand storms threating to engulf parts of Arizona, so am happy that the most exciting thing that Pa Self has to report is a broken lightbulb!

Glad to hear Bev is getting some rest, although I am sure she will be dreaming of rushing around with her cellphone glued to her ear - lets hope the chatting and rushing return to her reality real soon.....

Thinking of you all (as are all of Team Macrae - Mum and GAC send their love)

Ailis x

Karen Kane said...

Hey there to all

I agree with Mike, give her the morphine back dad.
The sloughing cells sound awful, I am 100% behind heavy drugs (which explains alot about me). My prayers are with you.
All is well here. Little update, my TV show has been "pushed". It seems the network thinks that trying to hide a 7 month pregnancy is just too much. So they have decided to wait til Ms. Raver has her child, there's talk of resuming in October but I am not holding my breath. So....pounding the pavement.

Day played on the John Travolta movie. Spent the day shooting pigeons flying off a rooftop. Don't they call that "skeet"--haha just kidding. It seems you have to be done by 5pm because the pigeons can't be out later or else the hawks attack. Who knew???
I am still feeling out the gossip about JT, they're only on their 3rd day but I'll find out more when I go back and I'll let you know.

Best to you and the gang at Sloane. Going to try to drop by on Wednesday but I'll call Tom first. Maybe just leave something at the door. How loud can the singing be on the 8th floor??? Hmm.....we'll have to test that.
love you
kk