Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Family Boost

Bev's parents, Miki and David, arrived safely in NYC and were able to visit us at the Sloan Kettering Spa & Resort for the first time today. Bearing gifts and goodies, they were just in time to witness Bev's reaction to her highest temperature yet (103.8! Way to go hun!!!). The shaking and shivering was dealt with, ice packs and Benydryl for Bev, Walker's Crisps (really good English potato chips) for me. Was great to see Bev's parents and it will be wonderful having them in town for the next month or so. It really was a big bowl of chicken soup for Bev's soul to see her Mum and Dad. David was also pleased to hear that I wasn't kidding when I wrote that I found a place to watch Reading vs. Middlesborough on Saturday.

So long to morphine induced hallucinations, hello to Dilaudid. The docs say its just as effective as morphine, but without the strange dreams and hallucinations. One might wonder why they don't just start with Dilaudid. Everytime Bev and I wonder these things we remind each other that we in fact work in television and couldn't possibly understand the complexities of medicine. But we're pretty sure someone at a health insurance company who never went to medical school has something to do with it.

Hopefully Bev will get some good sleep tonight, last night was rough. Prayers for a restful night's sleep much appreciated.

Love,
Tom

5 comments:

Sara said...

Welcome to the Ellars! It will be great to have your rents in town for a while. I'm glad it's a bit better than the other day but I know how slow the improvements must seem to come when you're in the situation of waiting to get better.

You will only get better!

I thought I'd let you know I had a second opinion on the knee. it was very helpful in my decision. I spoke with GG and it was great discussing it more. She affirmed the idea of the 2nd opinion. I'm having surgery on Monday. There are still two small things I haven't decided that are important. One is which surgeon to go with. ;-) They are both highly regarded and I'm assured either will go perfectly well. I am kind of scared though.

I wish we could be lying in beds side by side. Love you miss you lots. Can't wait till your throat is better so you can eat your favorite things and talk more .
Love you,
Sara

Furrey Family said...

I am so happy that the Ellar's made it in safe and sound. I am sure it was like jumping through hoops to get through the airport security- but they made it.

I will pray that the new meds are even better for the pain but with NO side affects. Praying that the fever will subside as well. Oh Bev - you are one amazing girl.

And Tom- who ever knew that my 'little' cousin would make such a loving hubby! :) I can still see us sitting on Grandma's front porch on Hague Ave. counting all of the cars that went by. We even had out our papers and pens to count EACH color too. What were we thinking?!?!?! Probably anything to keep us out of the house when Grandpa was around! :)

Ok- you all have a restful night. May you be even stonger tomorrow.

Love to you both,
Tracy

Bigmac said...

Great to hear that Miki and David arrived - and obviously their luggage did too since Walkers Crisps have made it to SK.

Highest temperature and more drugs sound like new experiences that will be chalked up to "done once but never again" - but the days are thankfully ticking on by and each one hopefully will bring some relief and more improvements.

Hope you slept well, thinking of you always.

A xx

melyay said...

Hi there - Just catching up after moving from Kansas City to Memphis... Glad to hear a word from Bev - she's had good stand-ins, but not quite the same as the real thing!
I'm glad to hear that you're getting the family boost that you probably need right now.
I miss you both! I'll see you in three and a half weeks (but who's counting?).
love-
Melissa

lauren&thebananas said...

Natasha says "Thorry your thick" yes a lisp is developing. Mathias screamed "Bev, feel better, really, feel better."

Glad you have better drugs now and hope the fever is under control. I guess you can't visit the eucalyptus steam room at SK yet then.

If your parents need anything please have someone call, or text as that's your preferred communication. I sent you a gossipy work email, and I've given you a fancy title at Kitchen Playdates, so rest up, lots ahead. Ok, kids have learned how to take things apart and like pens, and leave them broken so they leak on new chair. plse take care, love you, laur (and anth, who is yes, still at work and threatening to reappear on friday--xxl)